Saturday, February 23, 2013

Elderflower & Lemon Sponge Cupcakes


Ever since visiting Europe I've been hooked to elderflower cordial! I was never even introduced to it, I simply saw a pretty looking bottle in a convenient store with a pretty name - I was sold, I wanted to try it and I did, it was amazing. Once I got back to Cambridge I bought myself a bottle of concentrate and had elderflower cordial everyday I had class :) 

Going back to Australia was pretty sad since I knew I would probably never get my hands on elderflower again (easier at least) - that was until I stumbled across it during a trip to IKEA the other day AND! It was only $2.99 for 500ml, after getting home I did a quick search to see if it was available anywhere else in Australia and what do you know, elderflower cordial is available at Woolworths but having had that said it is $7.50 for 500mls. So if you want to get your hands on some elderflower concentrate a quick trip to IKEA would be totally worth it

As for these cupcakes, I whipped them up for a super bubbly and energetic friend who was turning 21, she absolutely adores the colour yellow and hence the theme to these cupcakes. I must say that sponge cake has always frightened me - theres something intimidating about them, mainly the fear that they will sink. Having them in cupcake form did not help one bit! In the end of the day these cupcakes did end up being tough, completely my fault - I decided to follow the recipe instead of trusting my instinct. I adjusted the recipe to ensure that that wouldn't happen again. So enjoy  

Elderflower & Lemon Sponge Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting


Lemon & Elderflower Sponge Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)

Ingredients
1/2 cup sparkling water*
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoon elderflower concentrate
4 eggs
*Note: For the sparkling water I used Solo for the lemon flavour, alternatively you can use any bubbly drink, whatever suits your recipe best

Elderflower Concentrate 500ml for $2.99 at IKEA


Method
Preheat the oven to 180C degrees (about 5 to 10 minutes before baking cupcakes)
Ensure all ingredients are at room temperate and well sifted
  1. Combine all the dry ingredients: Flour and baking powder, and set aside
  2. Combine all the wet ingredients: Sparkling water and elderflower concentrate, and set aside
  3. Beat the eggs until a pale yellow, gradually add the sugar in small portions until light and fluffy
  4. Fold in generally half the wet ingredients followed by half the dry ingredients, repeat until all ingredients are just incorporated
  5. Once everything has been folded together, add the lemon juice and beat it for 5 to 10 seconds with an electric beater
  6. Place the batter into unoiled cupcake liners about 2/3’s full
  7. Bake the cupcakes at 170C for about 15 minutes (fan force) 

Lemon & Elderflower Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cup icing sugar
3 tablespoon elderflower concentrate
7 tablespoon butter
250g cream cheese

Method
  1. Beat the butter and icing sugar until well creamed; followed by the lemon zest, lemon juice and elderflower concentrate
  2. Add the cream cheese a couple of small cubes at a time
  3. Mix for about 3 to 5 minutes until the frosting is nice and fluffy 


No comments:

Post a Comment