Friday, September 07, 2012

Hummingbird Bakery Green Tea Cupcakes

So I know I promised you guys Salted Caramel Cupcakes – well  

I-lied

Instead I made green tea cupcakes. I’ve never actually tried Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes, I was in London and I did attempt to find them but of course I failed – its somewhere near Regents St or Oxford St or something, but after my first day there and being pickpocketed I wasn’t so eager to go back. So of course I relied on the trusty Internet for my Hummingbird recipes instead of actually getting myself the cookbook. And I mean why wouldn’t you make Hummingbird recipes? They look so pretty & how awesome is the name?
So here it goes, the first actual cupcake recipe post:

Hummingbird Bakery Green Tea Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)


Chocolate Green Tea Cupcakes
Ingredients
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup butter
½ cup milk
¾ cup sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup but I don’t like my cupcakes overly sweet)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cup of self raising flour
2 tablespoon matcha powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 medium eggs 
3 green tea teabags
a pinch of salt
Ingredients
Method
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (About 5-10minutes before baking cupcakes)

  1. Warm up the milk and place the teabags inside, set the milk aside for a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
  2. Beat the butter until it is soft and pale, add caster sugar slowly and beat until well creamed, about 3-5 minutes, you can test if it's ready by feeling if the mixture is still grainy from the sugar, if it isn’t too coarse then you’re good
  3. Add eggs one at a time and combine into the butter and sugar mixture
  4. Combine all remaining dry ingredients into a separate bowl: flour, baking powder, matcha powder, cocoa powder & salt
  5. In another bowl combine remaining wet ingredients: vanilla & milk
  6. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and ½ of the wet ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar mixture
  7. Slowly add the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternatively
  8. Mix until wet and dry ingredients are well combined – do not over mix otherwise you will end up with tough cupcakes
  9. Place batter into cupcake liners about 2/3’s full – don’t forget to lightly oil the liners
  10. Bake the cupcakes at 160 degrees for about 15 – 20mins (fan force)  - check on cupcakes after 10minutes of baking in case your oven cooks faster J Best way to check if the cupcakes are ready, grab a toothpick and poke it through the centre of the cupcake, if the toothpick comes out completely clean then your cupcakes are ready.

Cupcakes

Green Tea Cream Cheese Frosting 
Ingredients
½  tablespoon matcha powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups icing sugar
125 grams cream cheese (I used 250 grams because I prefer it cheesey & I don't like having left over cream cheese in the fridge) 

Method

  1. Beat the butter and icing sugar until well creamed
  2. Add the cream cheese, a couple of small cubes at a time
  3. Mix for about 3-5minutes until the frosting is nice and fluffy

Note: When combining the butter and icing sugar, place a damp tea towel over the mixer otherwise you’re going to get icing sugar absolutely everywhere & its best to let the cream cheese sit outside for about an hour or so, otherwise it can be extremely firm and hence hard to work with. So heres what I got :) 

12

Final

I realised that by the end of this, I altered the recipe so much that I can barely call it a Hummingbird Bakery recipe. The changes I made includes: matcha powder for the cupcakes, green & yellow food colouring to bring out a green colour in the cupcakes and the baking style. I prefer this baking method since its more fool proof and you’re less likely to end up with rock-hard cupcakes. And I also changed the frosting – the original recipe calls for buttercream frosting but I don’t like American buttercream frosting, its just crappy tasting, I prefer Swiss or French buttercream BUUUT I only have a 1:4 success rate – so I’ll just stick with safe old, nice tasting cream cheese frosting.  
Anyhows until next week :) 
[EDIT] I made those flowers! Since no one seems to realise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment