Friday, September 07, 2012

Coca Cola Vanilla Cupcakes

So for the last week I’ve been using my green tea cupcakes to bribe people to like my blog :) Its working relatively well and it means I don’t have to force my family to eat them – oddly enough no one in my family greatly likes sweets or at least western sweets. Besides that, I’ve spent the majority of the week contemplating what I should make this time; I was tossing between this, butter popcorn and Krispy Kreme, ended up with this one cos I know some of you guys don’t like green tea and missed out last time.

Coca Cola Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)

Vanilla Coca Cola Cupcakes
Ingredients
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Coca Cola concentrate (instructions below)
1 ½ cup of self raising flour
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
a pinch of salt

Untitled-12

Method
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (About 3 - 5minutes before baking cupcakes)
Coke Concentrate: Pour 1L of coke into a saucepan and bring it to the boil, allow it to simmer for about 30 – 45mins with the lid on.
Note: Regularly check on the saucepan as once all the water has evaporated the concentrate can go from syrup to burnt stuff real quick. Once it turns from s liquid to more of a syrup be ready to turn off the heat.

  1. Beat the butter until it is soft and pale, add caster sugar slowly and beat until well creamed, about 3-5 minutes, you can test if its ready by feeling if the mixture is still grainy from the sugar, if it isn’t too coarse then you’re good
  2. Add eggs one at a time and combine into the butter and sugar mixture
  3. Combine all remaining dry ingredients into a separate bowl: flour, baking powder, cocoa powder & salt
  4. In another bowl combine remaining wet ingredients: vanilla & coke concentrate
  5. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and ½ of the wet ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar mixture
  6. Slowly add the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternatively
  7. Mix until wet and dry ingredients are well combined – do not over mix otherwise you will end up with tough cupcakes
  8. Place batter into cupcake liners about 2/3’s full – don’t forget to lightly oil the liners
  9. Bake the cupcakes at 160 degrees for about 15 – 20mins (fan force)  - check on the cupcakes after 10 minutes of baking in case your oven cooks faster.  Best way to check if cupcakes are ready, grab a toothpick and poke it through the centre of the cupcake, if the toothpick comes out completely clean then your cupcakes are ready.

Untitled-10

I did brush some Coca Cola concentrate onto the cupcakes because I wanted it to taste much more like cola. It tasted way too much like chocolate for my likings. Next time I make this I'm going to skip the cocoa powder.


Vanilla Coca Cola Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
½ tablespoon vanilla
3 tablespoon Coca Cola concentrate
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups icing sugar 
250 grams cream cheese (do not use light)

Method

  1. Beat the butter and icing sugar until well creamed
  2. Add the cream cheese, a couple of small cubes at a time
  3. Add the vanilla and coke concentrate
  4. Mix for about 3-5minutes until the frosting is nice and fluffy

Note: When combining the butter and icing sugar, place a damp tea towel over the mixer otherwise you’re going to get icing sugar absolutely everywhere & its best to let the cream cheese sit outside for about an hour or so, otherwise it can be extremely firm and hence hard to work with 

Cokecupcakes

Troubleshooting Cream Cheese Frosting
So for the first time I actually had a problem with my cream cheese frosting – its usually my fail safe frosting. Nevertheless I learnt something useful today, if your cream cheese icing is too thin and needs thickening DO NOT! add more powdered sugar like you would for buttercream frosting, this will actually make your cream cheese thinner :O (I actually attempted this and it really did) instead you need to add more cream cheese, it will thicken it like a charm :D
Oh and don’t use light apparently it doesn’t help the thickening process.
Cream Cheese works best if its straight out of the fridge & do not overbeat cream cheese, this will make it thin

Pretty Fondant Flowers
Untitled-8
Untitled-7
Untitled-5
Untitled-2
The fondant comes white, you can colour it by adding some food dye. Also use the icing to glue the separate pieces together.

Mini Disaster
So I kinda struck a bit of a disaster with this recipe because I was being careless. Heres what happened to my first coke concentrate. I was watching TV whilst making this and obviously I left it for too long and all the water evaporated and it was pretty much like caramelising sugar for too long. Not so pleasant looking, right? For all the coke lovers out there.
Untitled-15

My research skills told me that it would take 1.5h, after 30mins is looked absolutely fine, 10mins later it looked like this. Oh and of course I had to clean it, elbow grease was just not cutting it, so after another Google search I found that vinegar and bicarb soda would do the trick. And it did, after bring the pot to the boil with a bit of water and A LOT of vinegar it came out much easier.


Besides that minor set back, the second attempt worked well and the cupcakes turned out awesomely :D So any recommendations for what I should do next? 



Cokestand

No comments:

Post a Comment